Tuesday, August 18, 2009

+s and -s

I'd like to write much more about all of these things, but I'd also like to get on a semi-decent sleep schedule. Lots of cleaning and such to do tomorrow, in preparation for my roommate's arrival Friday (but trash day is Thurs morning, so I know I've got to get ahead).

In easy + or - form:

Booyah: walked almost 8 miles today! And was able to convert km to mi!!
Oops: oh no, so that's where my leg muscles are...

Oh frabjous day!: discovered fantastic food places, a cooking shop (bought awesome spice rack!), antique shops, delicious-smelling bakeries, and (best part ever) a place to buy aloe juice!
Oh, well: didn't eat out due to lack of time or company; couldn't carry big pots/pans home from far away, so didn't buy too much; missed Noah when looking at sweet old antique organs; was self-conscious about my lack of French in bakeries; and wanted to buy all the veggies at the aloe juice market (henceforth AJ Marché) but again, couldn't carry.

My apartment: is going to get the royal treatment in cleaning tomorrow, now that all the stuff has been sorted dealt with
However: it clocked in at 35degC when I came home last night. How dare! Please rain tomorrow?

Yes, finally: got a cell phone! 514-649-2528. Awesome because 5 times 2 digits thereafter is 10, which is also 2+8; 14 is 1/2 of 28; 6+4 is 10, and 9-6 is 3, which x4 is 12; 2x5 is 10, again; and 28 is the point altogether! (Lucky number. If you're wondering about the 12, that's for December.)
...Oh: really really expensive plan so I can call and text the US anytime I please (it's just money, right?)

Easy, cheap, and delicious: slice of pizza after long day
But, pointing at food, rather than understanding French, results in: mushrooms found under the cheese, finely chopped and hard to scrape; ensuing tummyache

I love: little French-speaking kids
But I don't love them: when they're *everywhere* and *screaming* at the mall

(Backwards one):
I was concerned when: it started raining on the walk to the mall
I was delightfully surprised when: I didn't mind, and liked it (see entry re: intense heat)

Glorious: talking to Noah for the monthiversary :)
But it was a struggle: to call via new phone at appointed meeting time after long, long phone kiosk session...I made it, but it was within minutes, and had to run on 7-mi-worth-of-tired legs. Still, verdict: totally worth it

I found out: McGill performance people don't take placement exams, what a relief!
I am otherwise punished: in that this provides less review for an eventual "real musician" life in which "I really need to know all this stuff"

Whew: getting to have lots of relaxing time at the internet café for business affairs, registering phone, classes, email catchup, googling "where do I do this / get this in Canada"
Grrrr: imbecilic mcgill registration site, and class caps, and waitlists

This café is awesome because: they have played the Aretha Franklin Eleanor Rigby (hilarious!), The Doors Touch Me, Brandy (You're a Fine Girl), Proud Mary, and Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog
But I cannot abide by: a house/trance version of Satie Gymnopedies. Like, really?

I can't wait: to sing again in a practice room and in a theater; to have a voice lesson and coaching; to take real diction courses; to get more groceries and cook exciting things; to meet people around here I want to cook for; to eat out and feel informed about what's good and what's not in Montreal; to explore more alone, and with visitors; to wake up tomorrow and clean
I'd rather not: be as sore in the morning as I know I'll be; ask any more questions of the poor McGill grad office; deal with potential bugs during the cleaning process; go to bed so early as midnight. But I really should...start trying... :)

Docket tomorrow:
+Clean, clearly
+Get Canadian bank account
+Get Canadian credit card (replete with adorable "expiry date")
+Find and purchase good mixing bowls so I can bake bread (this includes: figure out idiosyncracies of my Celcius oven)

Love!
Estelí

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' these posts. So helpful that someone else we love is going through this moving and transition thing at the same time!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete